“It was great! No cleaning, no responsibilities and no guilt. Just rest and relaxation.” That’s how I described a recent overnight stay at MUSC following a vocal cord procedure to my friend/counselor/life coach, Nancy.
Recently, we talked about how I could replicate that without having to go to the hospital. By the next day, I’d devised “Strengthening Saturday,” a day each month dedicated to rest, renewal, rejuvenation and refreshment. (If only Saturday started with an R!)
Following are the terms of “Strengthening Saturday:”
- Designate the fourth Saturday of each month as Strengthening Saturday. (That week is usually a busy one for me each month.)
- Sleep until I wake up; maybe go back to sleep even then.
- Have no “to do” list for that day; only do the things I want to do including, but not limited to watching Netflix, creating something; reading; and/or catching up on my writing.
- Unless there is something I WANT to do outside of the house and need to be presentable, stay in my PJs or lounging clothes all day.
- Eat foods that are low-prep and healthy. Unless I want something sinful, which I’ll totally allow during a Strengthening Saturday.
- No social media allowed. (Lumosity and Words with Friends, yes; Facebook and Twitter, no.)
- Tell Mom and Sister not to include me in any plans on a Strengthening Saturday.
- Maximize my senses. Play music I love or listen to a podcast; have some flowers or other beautiful thing in my room; light a candle; take a long hot bubble bath or freshen my bed clothes; eat wonderful food; cuddle with the cats; etc.
- Will put the guilt of not “being busy” aside, just for one day.
As I continue to grow, build and yes, even still heal a little, I think Strengthening Saturdays will be a game changer. I can’t wait for the first one!