A Little R&R for the Women Baldauf

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterward.  ~ Spanish Proverb

Sister, Mom and I took on Myrtle Beach for a couple of days this week, and it was a much-needed respite for all of us!

It started last Monday when someone from Eastminster called and offered Mom their condo for week. The scheduled renter had to back out, and he thought Mom might enjoy a complimentary week shore side. Sister wanted to leave immediately, but due to work schedules, we decided to pack up and go Thursday evening. It was a whirlwind trip, but a great thing for the three of us.

The condo was in the Windy Hill section of Myrtle Beach, and we arrived around 9 p.m. Thursday. Mom took Thursday off, and I left work an hour early, but we didn’t leave until about 5:30 p.m. We decided not to rush and took care of lots of errands before we left. We also took our time getting there, stopping for dinner and as needed for bathroom breaks.

Friday was supposed to be a stormy day at the beach, so we got an early start by getting up for a sunrise walk. Mom was so tickled to dip her toes in the surf after many years of missed beach trips, and Sister and I scouted out the best beach coming sites. After a leisurely breakfast and rest, Sister and I headed out for beach combing; Mom headed out to the ocean , then the pool.

This trip’s beach combing was a bit different, but totally cool. We went back to a site we selected on the sunrise walk. Somehow, one of us thought to dig in the sand, and the rest is history! We were digging fab finds, including shark teeth and perfect lettered olives, from teeny to huge. Several young kids joined in — red-headed cousins — and we had a ball. We stayed in pretty much one area for about three hours, and Sister has the burn to prove it.

Following our shell adventure, we met back up with Mom and scooted out for a late lunch. We were hungry, and the closest place with no lines was Dirty Dick’s Crab House. (I know, I know!) We usually avoid chains, especially ones with dirty double entendres, but again, we were hungry. The food was actually okay, too. There weren’t many great healthy options, but I got some delish grilled oysters.

Afterwards, we made a few stops and headed home for a nap. Although there was never more than rain, the late afternoon weather was unsettled; there were all kinds of watches and warnings. So I made a delish spaghetti dinner while Mom and Sister slept; they awoke to a healthy whole wheat spaghetti with Boss Sauce dinner with our new fave Duplin wine.  we rounded out the night with a quick walk on beach — there was more rain — and watched one of Mom’s fave new shows, Storage Wars.

Saturday was our last day at the beach, so we started early again. I got everyone up for sunrise, but it was cloudy; the show wasn’t as spectacular as the day before, but it was a great walk. It was just after high tide, so there weren’t a lot of shells visible. On a whim, I walked up to the powdery sand to look, and again, hit the jackpot. Again, I found perfect lettered olives of all sizes, but also found lots of augers, which I hadn’t seen the day before.

Checkout at this condo was early, and someone was coming in that day, so we left around 10 a.m. and started out what ended up being a spectacular shopping Saturday. Let’s just say that we started at 10:45 a.m. and didn’t finish until 7 p.m. We came back mostly with shoes, dresses and lingerie, which will get a post of it’s very own later this week. After a quick dinner stop, we hit the road; Sister and I pulled in the driveway around 10:30 p.m. Whew!

A few things worth noting:

  1. We haven’t been to Myrtle Beach in years, and while I tend to think of it as overdeveloped, touristy and a little tacky in places, we had a delightful time. Our condo was quite north of Myrtle, and nestled among more established lodging. Even though it was the first week in June, it was quiet, not too crowded and not full of rowdy teens. Wings, Broadway and 170-item seafood buffet restaurants were still there, but also easily avoidable.
  2.  True to the quote at the beginning of this post, we’re resting after our little getaway. Sister is napping off a bad sunburn, and the most physical thing I’ll be doing is planting some morning glory seedlings. I did buy groceries, and I hope to unpack, but we’re really just chillin’ today.
  3. I’ve shared a few iPhone photos here, but Sister got some really fab postcard-quality shots with her real camera. Once she downloads them, I’ll be sure to share some of the best ones.
One comment to “A Little R&R for the Women Baldauf”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *