In the last four years, I have slayed a lot of “food dragons,” but the one that I haven’t been able to lick? Artificial sweeteners! When it comes to my morning coffee, I still like to add one “blue” and one “pink.” I’ve tried the “yellow” and other natural sweeteners, but nothing has the same appeal.
I recently ran across this Iced Coffee Protein Smoothie recipe, so I thought I’d give it a try. I was a bit hesitant because I don’t like iced coffee, but this is one fabulous smoothie. It’s also surprisingly filling; I can have one as late as 8 a.m. and not be hungry again until lunchtime.
Iced Coffee Protein Smoothie (Serves One)
• ½ cup brewed coffee (cold)
• ¼ unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
• ½ ripe banana, frozen and cut into chunks *
• 1 tablespoon almond butter (I love to use MaraNatha Dark Chocolate Almond Spread)
• 1 pitted date
• 1 scoop, vanilla protein powder
• ½ teaspoon vanilla
• Dash, ground cinnamon
Add ingredients to blender, process until smooth.
*Forget to freeze a banana? No worries, just add half a cup of ice!